I don't know about you, but I love Brussels Sprouts - especially roasted Brussels Sprouts in the Fall/Winter. The Brussels Sprout makes me think of the holidays and Jaime's Kitchen had them on the 2012 Thanksgiving menu. This little cruciferous vegetable is similar to kale, broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage. The sprout is high in glucosinolates, which is a phytonutrient known to protect against cancer. It is important not to overcook cruciferous vegetables as they start to emit a sulfur smell, which is quite distasteful.
To me, the kale chip is quite frankly overhyped and getting old, so why not mix it up?! I found a recipe for Brussels Sprouts chips on inspiredRD that I adapted. I thought it would be a yummy, unconventional snack that my family would love. While dinner was cooking last night, I prepared the Brussels Sprouts and got to roasting. The recipe is so easy and if you feel like it, you can add your own style by adding in herbs, walnut oil, Parmesan...whatever you want! I tripled the recipe and I suggest you do the same because those babies were gone within 10 minutes after they got done roasting. I recommend roasting an amount you feel you will eat within 24 hours because they will not store well.
Lemony Brussels Sprouts Chips
- 20 Brussels sprouts
- 1 T coconut oil, melted
- ¼ tsp Himalayan salt
- Freshly grated pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped mixture of fresh basil and parsley
- 1/4 of a lemon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the outer leaves of each brussels sprouts. Trim off the very bottom of each sprout and gently peel off outer leaves until you are no longer able to peel off any leaves. Save the inside of the sprouts for another recipe.
- Toss leaves with coconut oil, salt, pepper and herbs. Spread out in a single layer on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Roast for 10 minutes, check leaves and remove any that are crisp. Place baking sheet back in the oven and check every couple of minutes until all leaves are crisp. Be careful not to let the entire leaf turn brown.
- Top with fresh lemon juice.
- Serve immediately.
*If you want to add a little kick, you could sprinkle with red pepper flakes and/or freshly shredded Parmesan cheese.