Disclaimer: I received free samples of California sweetpotatoes mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by the California Sweetpotato Council and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.
Earlier in the week, I shared my recipe for No Bake California Sweetpotato & Apple Bites since I had many "sweetpotatoes" to work with I decided to also experiment with more of a savory dish. As I mentioned in my previous post, the California sweetpotato is a unique sweetpotato (and no, I did not forget my spellcheck) that is grown in soft sand and hand sorted during harvest season to minimize scarring and scratching to the skin. Therefore, these sweetpotatoes are higher quality (harvested with love) and more appealing to the eye. You can find out more specifics about the nutrition content in my previous post.
For this recipe I used the O'Henry and Covington varieties. Variety is the spice of life, you know! I will admit I was an unconventional college student. I would make dinner for myself every night with huge heapings of vegetables and the sweet potato was one of my go to side dishes. I was a definite sweet potato junkie. I got away from this tuberous root and I don’t know why! I need more sweetpotato in my life. It is such a great substitute for grain and my son loves them – especially with mustard. He is a mustard junkie!
Since we have cut back on our grain intake, I decided to use the California sweetpotato as a vehicle for my main dish of ground beef, peppers, and kale. I gave this dish a Moroccan flair and also added a touch of oregano and lime juice to freshen it up! I served the dish with avocado slices, cause my family loves the avocado. You could also add a dollop of sour cream, green onions, or whatever you fancy. Enjoy!
With Zest & Zeal,
California Sweetpotatoes stuffed with Ground Beef & Kale
- 1/2 pound ground beef
- 2 sweet potatoes, baked
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 2 T coconut oil
- 1/2 T ground cumin
- 1/2 T smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 T dried oregano
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice
- Himalayan salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 ripe avocado
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Pierce the sweet potatoes several times with the tines of a fork. Place the sweetpotatoes on a baking sheet. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
2. While sweetpotatoes are baking, in a large skillet brown the ground beef. Add the bell peppers, onions, and coconut oil and saute until the onions and peppers are tender. Add all of the spices and mix well. Add the kale and sauté until the kale is wilted and tender (about 3 minutes).
3. To assemble, slice the sweet potatoes open lengthwise and mash the insides. Scoop the beef/kale mixture into the middle of each sweet potato. Squeeze fresh lime juice over beef/kale mixture. Serve with slices of avocado.
Join our community and receive our Free Menu Planning Guide to make the most of your weekly meals.
This post contains affiliate links (more info here). I only recommend products that I either use myself or would be comfortable using.