Lately I have been seeing so many recipes that feature the lovely beet. Beets are so tasty, but I had personally never prepared them. When I was researching cleansing foods and brainstorming recipes to create, I knew I had to use this colorful root vegetable. I thought the earthy and sweet taste of the beet would go well with a citrus fruit and grapefruit just happens to be my favorite!
Here are the instructions I used on how to boil beets. Warning - when peeling and slicing beets, you should wear gloves unless you want to end up with pink hands for a day, like I did. :) The simple gingery & sweet dressing mixed with the earthy-flavored beets is delicious!
Nutrition Benefits of the Beet
This brightly colored root vegetable is a great source of folate, Vitamin C and betaine. Betaine helps to protect your body against cardiovascular disease and may also be helpful in protecting against liver disease. Beets are also a great source of betacyanins, which are responsible for giving beets their crimson hue and have potent cancer-fighting properties. Eat up!
With Zest & Zeal,
Beet & Grapefruit Salad with Honey Ginger Dressing - gluten-free & vegan
Ingredients - Serves 2
- 1 medium red beet, boiled and sliced horizontally into even rounds - instructions on how to boil beets
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced horizontally into even rounds
- A few leaves of fresh mint, chiffonade - I used six leaves
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger root, grated
- Salt & pepper to taste
- For the dressing, whisk together the honey, balsamic, olive oil, and ginger root in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the sliced grapefruit on a plate and top with beets and mint leaves.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and salt and pepper to taste.
Join our community and receive our Free Menu Planning Guide to make the most of your weekly meals.