Oh, the kale salad. It seems you now find kale salads on menus at most new and trendy dining establishments, in the pages of food magazines, and featured on all healthy food related blogs. Kale has risen to popularity as THE superfood and supergreen. I have no problem with this as I LOVE the stuff and I am all for healthier foods becoming "trendy" if it means better health for us all. I enjoy the very vegetal flavor and hearty texture, and kale salads have become part of our weekly recipe routine over the past few years.
Kale can certainly be an acquired taste, but I encourage everyone, unless they have a medical reason not to, to add more greens (spinach, collards, mustard greens, chard, etc.) to their diet. The health benefits cannot be beat and the taste is interesting and more complex than your basic lettuce.
Nutritional benefits of kale
- high amounts of antioxidants (carotenoids and flavonoids which help protect against various cancers)
- high in vitamin C, K, and A
- a natural source of calcium and fiber
- high in iron
- lowers cholesterol
- detoxifies your liver and body with the naturally present fiber and sulfur
Other detoxifying ingredients in this recipe: lemon, apple cider vinegar, red onion, turmeric.
We continue today with recipes for our reboot series. I experimented with a kale salad using a variety of cleansing ingredients. Now I will warn you - this is a detox salad which means it has a very light (but refreshing) flavor. There is intensity in the combination of lemon, apple cider vinegar, oranges and red onion but overall, there is something very subtle about this salad. I added shredded coconut to give a touch of tropical flair which I thought would compliment the citrus flavors, add a touch of sweetness, and momentarily appease my daily daydream of escaping the winter gloom and jetting off to the Caribbean!
With Zest & Zeal,
Detox Winter Kale Salad (vegan, gluten-free, paleo, dairy-free)
- 2 small bunches of lacinato kale
- 1 orange, peeled and chopped
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- Raw sunflower seeds
- Shredded, unsweetened coconut flakes (I love Let's Do Organic)
For the dressing
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 Tablespoon of raw apple cider vinegar (Bragg's is my favorite)
- 1 teaspoon of fresh squeezed orange juice
- Generous dash of turmeric
- Dash of cumin
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 teaspoons of raw honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
- Remove the stems and chop the kale.
- Wash the kale leaves (I like to use a salad spinner).
- Place the kale in a large bowl.
- Mix ingredients for the dressing by shaking in a jar or whisking.
- Pour dressing over kale leaves and massage the leaves to mix thoroughly.
- Taste a leaf and adjust flavors as necessary. You may want to add more orange juice, lemon, vinegar, salt, spices, or honey depending on your preference.
- Place kale on plates or serving bowl.
- Garnish with orange pieces, red onion, sunflower seeds, and coconut flakes.
Makes 2 large or 4 small salads.
Join our community and receive our Free Menu Planning Guide to make the most of your weekly meals.
This post contains affiliate links (more info here). I only recommend products that I either use myself or would be comfortable using.