I think I am ready to do smoothies again. As evidenced by my Instagram feed, my fellow health food bloggers are in love with the smoothies, but I have been smoothie adverse for the last year. I got on a huge daily-smoothie kick for a couple of years after my husband surprised me with a Vitamix, but after the birth of my daughter, I lost interest in making and drinking them. Well, I think I am back, and just in time for spring!
Smoothies are a simple and healthy way to start off your day or to refuel in the afternoon. I am particularly tired of my basic green smoothie recipe so for my journey back in the smoothie world, I decided to recreate an old classic - the strawberry banana smoothie. I consider this recipe "updated" because it includes the addition of several healthy options such as spinach, coconut milk, hemp seeds, flax seeds, and more!
Here are some tidbits on the health benefits of these ingredients:
- spinach - one of the most nutrient dense foods you can eat. Loaded with vitamins and antioxidants!
- coconut milk - contains lauric acid which has many germ-fighting, anti-fungal and anti-viral properties.
- hemp seed - loaded with protein, omega- 3 and Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) which is an especially beneficial type of omega-6 and anti-inflammatory building block.
- flax seed - a good source of fiber, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- lime - stimulates digestion and is a great source of vitamin C.
- shredded coconut - packed with B vitamins and trace amounts of copper, zinc, magnesium, manganese, iron and calcium.
- nutmeg - includes minerals that keep your immune system strong and contains myristicin which is known to protect your brain against dementia.
I am looking forward to bringing you more interesting and unique smoothie combinations to add to your repertoire this spring and summer -- the time of year when smoothies really seem to hit the spot!
With Zest & Zeal,
Updated Strawberry Banana Smoothie - gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan, no-refined sugar
- One frozen banana
- 2 cups strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 Tablespoon hemp seeds
- 1 Tablespoon ground flax seeds
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- Shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
- Place banana, strawberries, spinach, coconut milk, hemp seeds, flax seeds and lime juice in a Vitamix (or blender).
- Blend until thoroughly combined.
- If necessary, add ice or water to reach your preferred consistency and temperature.
- Garnish with coconut flakes and a dash of nutmeg.
- Drink up and be healthy!
Join our community and receive our Free Menu Planning Guide to make the most of your weekly meals.
This post contains affiliate links (more info here). I only recommend products that I either use myself or would be comfortable using.